In 2018, the rules to the game of professionalism have shifted now that more than one-in-three American labor force participants (35%) are Millennials. Some rules have stayed the same while others have been upgraded. In order for success to truly be inevitable, one must stay ahead of the wave or be washed out by it. There are checklist items every professional needs to have to ensure they are leveraging themselves in the right lanes and at the correct speed. Do not find yourself without any of these items when you need them the most. Take into consideration the words of Benjamin Disraeli, former UK Prime Minister, ‘The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.’
Stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.
Here are the top items every professional needs:
A professional, high-resolution headshot
- Professional headshots are not just for performers and entertainers; every professional, no matter the industry, needs one as well. It sets the tone of what message you’re trying to convey professionally as well as it being the first introduction to your brand.
- Having a LinkedIn account is non-negotiable. LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with hundreds of millions of members, and growing rapidly. It connects the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. Also, it allows you to build and maintain your professional networks. Note: Keep it updated.
- Your professional bio should be comprehensive and thorough, and give people a good idea of who you are and what you represent. Having one in long and short form will never leave you empty-handed when the time comes for it to be used.
- Business cards still matter because not everyone is going to or want to follow you on social media. A business card is a road map to unlimited opportunities. It could be the start of a great new job, potential business partnerships, or an increased network.
- With a personal website you get to have all your pertinent information in one location, control over your own branding, a handcrafted portfolio that fits your specific wants/needs and it’s now free, simple and easy to create.
Membership in at least one professional organization
- Networking is the name of the game. What better way to connect with like-minded, goal oriented and driven people than by joining an organization that fosters all those qualities.
Subscriber to at least one social media platform
- This may be debatable for some but with this new trend of social media being the primary source of breaking news, political updates, entertainment and more, one cannot afford to be delayed in receiving crucial news updates. Stay informed. Stay active. Stay Connected.